Thought candy was bad for your teeth? Let’s talk toothpaste. We brush our teeth every day (most of us, at least) and use toothpaste to do so. Every supermarket, drugstore or health food store has a wide range of toothpaste. It seems like they specialize in a specific purpose: whitening, your gums or sensitive teeth. But do we really know what we clean our teeth with? We listed the most commonly used ingredients below.
Aspartame is the most commonly used artificial sweetener in commercial toothpaste. Its composition makes it possible to break off and form ‘methanol’. This may sound harmless since methanol is also found in fruit and vegetables, but that's not the whole truth. In fruit and veggies, it’s bonded with ‘pectin’ allowing it to safely pass through your body. However, this is not the case with the methanol in most toothpaste. So basically your body can't even digest this ingredient properly.
Kinda shocking? Well, you haven’t heard all yet. Humans are not able to digest methanol into a harmless formic acid. So the methanol travels through your blood vessels into other sensitive areas, such as your brain. It can eventually lead to methanol poisoning resulting in headaches, ear buzzing, dizziness, nausea, chills…the list goes on.
Our toothpaste, shampoo, shaving cream - all products that foam. We're bound to believe that if it foams, it's good. However, most products don't naturally foam. They use DEA, diethanolamine, to do so. DEA disrupts hormones and forms cancer-causing nitrates. Auch.
Commonly known as 'fluoride'. Dentists, 'professionals' in toothpaste commercials, toothpaste manufacturers - everyone praises fluoride. It's supposed to build strong and healthy teeth. Fluoride is a by-product of aluminum manufacturing and is often used in rat poisons and industrial pesticides. Ingesting even a small amount can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Ingesting a large amount can even lead to death. Why are we still allowing these poisonous ingredients in our products?
An ingredient which is also used in most commercial toothpaste. Triclosan is classified as a pesticide - it causes risk to both human health and the environment. Enough for us to seriously reject this ingredient.
This ingredient is used as a wetting agent and surfactant in toothpaste. Your skin absorbs it rapidly and prolonged contact can lead to brain, liver and kidney abnormalities. Manufacturers working with this chemical have to use rubber gloves, but we - the consumers - actually swallow it daily.
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
Known as 'SLS'. The health risks of SLS are pretty serious if you ask us. It can damage eyes, irritate skin and lead to labored breathing. According to the American College of Toxicology, SLS may stay within the body for up to five days accumulating in the heart, liver, lungs, and brain. We can easily state this shouldn't be in our toothpaste, right?
After all this chemical talk - if you made it this far - you might wonder: What is the solution? For us, it's using a toothpaste made of all organic and natural ingredients. We sell it in our webshop, just click here.